Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY FROM THE M.O.T. STATION

I picked up my car from its MoT testing station this morning. The tax had run out last week and it needed a new MoT so I put it through its test. It needed a bit of work doing to it to pass (I am not fractional reserve banker who can conjure up a couple of hundred of thousands of pounds for a brand new car), so I left it at the station. I cancelled a meeting by email this morning and informed some family by phone that I was going to be around to pick the car up. Because I didn't have the MoT certificate the car was untaxed. As far as I know it is legal to drive your car untaxed from a MoT station directly home. So I had driven less than a half mile when this DVLA car quickly pulled out of a side street after I had driven past it, and it followed me for about another mile to mile and a half. I saw the DVLA vehicle pull out behind me in my rear view mirror. I know the road. I used to meet an ex-girlfriend there when I was (much) younger. It sped up to catch me up then slowed down to put some distance between us, even though I was doing 35 in a 40 zone. It was almost like it was waiting for me to drive past, then pull out quickly behind me so there was no car between us, and record me driving without a valid car licence. I mean, what are the chances? I only see those types of vehicles on the motorway.

Oh, yeah. The car followed me until it got to the motorway, which it joined.

It was very...odd.

The car is taxed now.

£99!

£9 bloody 9!

Several calls to the DVLA have me assured me that there is a 14 day grace period to sort stuff out like that.

But still. That DVLA vehicle. The way it appeared out of nowhere just as I drove past the street after I had just picked the car up and paid the station by credit card.

Naaah.

They wouldn't do that.

Would they?

Mind you, there was those two letters sent to my address on two occasions, but addressed to the headmaster of a fictitious school at that address; when I applied for entry onto a teaching taster course, and the day after I submitted my application for teacher training.

And now this DVLA vehicle. Was it? Wasn't it?

As the law stands I'm covered.

I had 14 days to sort the car out.
I had just picked the car up from the MoT station where it had been stored.
I was insured.
I drove straight home.
I then taxed it at my local DVLA office.

So if it was more than chance they're wasting their time.

No comments: