Saturday, February 20, 2021

JUST FOUND OUT MY GRANDFATHER WAS AT DUNKIRK 1940 AND WAS MENTIONED IN DISPATCHES

The operation to evacuate Dunkirk in 1940 was called Operation Dynamo. 

I just found out today that my grandfather was there in the artillery and was mentioned in dispatches. After the war he threw all his medals in the bin, asking why he'd been fighting throughout all WW2 only to see the rich get richer and more powerful.

I knew he'd been in the army and came back a broken man, but was not told of this until today. 

Another grandfather, an Army boxing champion, was there on 6th June 1944, but perhaps not in the 1st wave. He survived and returned after the the war a changed man: from a loving family man, to a man who drank and had many affairs with young women, which drove his wife, my grandmother, to drink. She lived just long enough to hold me in her arms as soon as I was born, then she passed.

No comments: