Thursday, August 17, 2006

THE EYES HAVE IT

I walked my dog this morning, and met a few people along the way. I looked at them, gave them a brief smile and said, "'Mornin'". We each looked at each other and knew. Not a word passed between us, but we each of us knew.

I then went for a drive onto the nearby moors. I stopped at a car park at the top to look at the fantastic view. There were some National Trust volunteers climbing into their Land Rover. I looked over, smiled, and we all glanced at each other. And we all knew.

I then carried on with my journey home, pulling into a station for some diesel. I handed my credit card over to the cashier to pay for the fuel. We briefly looked at each other, but in that moment we both of us knew.

There was no fear. No terror. Just ordinary people getting on with their ordinary lives.

Next time you meet someone, friend or stranger, look into their eyes. What do you see?

No comments: