Sunday, July 21, 2013

THERE IS SOMETHIING BEYOND THE FIVE SENSES

In 2004 I took my dogs for a walk/run on one of the most beautiful spots in South Cumbria. In order to get there I drove up this long winding single track road. We had our walk/run and jumped into the car to go home. As I began to accelerate away from the parking spot I heard/felt a voice say, "Slow down for the frog". I thought, "what the f***?!". I then heard/felt the same voice say again, "Slow down for the frog." So I slowed down from about 35mph to about 5 mph, and sure enough about 10 metres in front of the car a frog suddenly hopped out of the long grass on the left! So I braked to a stop, and watched in stunned amazement as this frog hopped happily across the road.

I had been on that road many times before and have been many times since, and not once have I seen a frog on any other occasion, so I had no reason to expect a frog to jump out of the grass. The location is possibly the last you would expect a frog, high up in the hills with no obvious source of water nearby.

It still spooks me out whenever I remember that.



No comments: